Thursday, December 07, 2006

Fudge, and well ... fudge

Ideally I don't mean fudge as an epithet, but actual homemade candy. Each year before winter break, I make several batches of fudge for my GA's and student workers in the resource center. It's a treat they look forward to and I enjoy providing. In fact, I have overheard students discussing with new hires that even though the library pay scale is not stellar, the fringe benefits of treats, and the all-important opportunity to do homework while at work make it worthwhile. Last week I found festive holiday tins and this evening I filled them with fudge before the meaningless football game started (it’s half time right now and sure looks cold in the ‘burgh). Tomorrow is the last day of classes and students soon depart, enjoying a month with family and friends. My holiday offering will be presented, complete with lovely little Ellison die nametags adding a festive touch! Chocolate during finals week; it’s a definite plan.

On to the other fudge, this time having a possible meaning related another less palatable word. Yesterday afternoon, for the first time in several semesters, the roll top laminator suffered a mishap and is out of order. A bit of background information, instead of turning it off and on we unplug it after finishing laminating jobs. Yes this is overkill, but it insures I sleep at night without wondering if it is going to burn down the library. The resource center is a help-yourself area and this pertains to the machinery as well. Many students are well versed in the use of the laminator and choose to complete their own projects with little or no assistance from IRC staff. In fact, most of them know to unplug it when they have finished without any prompting. Yesterday afternoon someone pulled the plug a bit off kilter and one of the prongs broke off in the outlet.

Yikes!

Yes, it was killing me not to just yank that sucker out of the outlet. I didn't, mostly because I did not know which of the breakers turned off that outlet (I'm not a complete idiot). I called the physical plant and they sent someone right over to remove the piece from the outlet. Unfortunately that means the laminator, used for larger jobs, is out of order until a new plug can be installed. A work order was processessed and labeled "urgent." The speed with which it is repaired all depends on who's definition of "urgent" is used. These things happen and it was definitely an accident.

Maybe I'll just eat some fudge and forget about it. Right now, the third quarter is about to begin, the Steelers are winning, and tomorrow is Friday.

No comments: