I determined this would be the year where I did not pick up an overabundance of freebies and fripperies from The Stacks. It is a pledge I make yearly, but was actually able to stick with in Chicago. To my eyes there seemed to be fewer exhibitors; I had lunch with an exhibitor who mentioned this was the first time in ten years they were roaming the hall sans exhibit area. Those in attendance brought less free stuff, a good move in my opinion. Do not misunderstand, there were attendees leaving with bags overflowing with marketing toys. I merely found it simpler to resist what was displayed.
But what about books? What about the children's literature ARCs? I picked up only five ... yes, five.
- Front and Center, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
- Luv Ya Bunches, by Lauren Myracle
- Nerds, by Michael Buckley
- This Family is Driving Me Crazy, Ten Stories About Surviving Your Family
- Troy High, by Shana Norris