Saturday, September 12, 2009

This time, it's global

"It is my pleasure to inform you that on August 30th, 2009 your information was reviewed and accepted for inclusion in the 2009/2010 edition of our registry.

The Global Directory of Who's Who each year, recognizes and selects key executives, professionals and organizations in all disciplines and industries for outstanding business and professional achievements. This recognition is shared by those who have reached a distinguished level of success in their chosen profession.

Please take a moment to complete the invitation by clicking on the link below. We ask that you complete it carefully, as it will be reviewed by our editorial department.

** Please complete the online link by September 30th.

The Global Directory of Who's Who is pleased to inform you that there are no fees or dues to be included in the publication. On behalf of the publishing department and our esteemed staff, we wish you continued success."

I "released" the above email from my spam/quarantine folder out of sheer curiosity late last week. Undoubtedly my previous experience with Cambridge Who's Who predisposed me to read it with a definitively jaundiced eye, but a few things caught my interest; if my information has already been "reviewed and accepted for inclusion," why do I need to bother with the link; if I will already be included, why is the information going to be "reviewed by our (their) editorial department;" and how interesting that they are "pleased to inform" me that "there are not fees or dues to be included in the publication."

A catalog search revealed my library does not have the title, it is not part of any academic library in the state, and World Cat does not have a record of any library having the title as part of their collection. I moved my research to the web and, not surprisingly, found dissatisfied customers.
Curiosity satisfied, I deleted the email. It will be interesting to see if there is a follow-up; too bad it will not get beyond my spam folder.

No comments: