Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hypothetical Milestone: 300

Logging in to Blogger after spending the evening completing overdue computer maintenance, running scans and defragging the hard drive, on my six-year-old HP Pavilion, I noticed this is post 300. Alas, I have not prepared any blog statistics, nor do I have anything deeply thought provoking, or genuinely humorous to share that would allow me to rise to the occasion. Instead, I have a few tidbits of information that should be filed under "what I learned today."

  • The last two days of class means something completely different to me than it does to a graduating senior.
  • Googling myself also has a Freudian definition: ego surfing (Jeopardy tonight).
  • There is a charming term for instances where words just flow from your mouth without stopping at your brain first: word vomit.
  • Author and illustrator Niki Daly is a man. I keep getting him confused with Niki Giovanni.
  • Don't automatically blame the printer when planned backgrounds on Word 2003 documents do not appear. In some instances you must set the background to print from the tools bar, not the printer properties.
  • Plagiarism means "kidnap" in Latin (Final Jeopardy, and I knew the answer).
  • The right time to check batteries in flashlights is before the tornado sirens go off during a storm.
  • It is permissible to stop reading a children’s book if I am not enjoying the story (that’s always a hard one). There is always another book to read in the library.

I noticed today that a lot of blogs and newspapers are commenting on the idea of book reviews on blogs verses book reviews in journals, magazines, and newspapers. I have not considered the topic enough to post on the topic as of yet, but have commented on a blog or two following the discussion. I do not consider this a book review blog, but I do indeed talk about books when the mood strikes. As a librarian I spend a lot of time reading books and reading reviews. As a student in grad school for library science (I hate the term library school ... please ... it sounds like kindergarten) I had to write weekly reviews for a children's literature class. I am not a professional reviewer, and don’t represent myself as one in the blogosphere, but I do have some idea on how to craft a book review. Either way, it’s my blog and I’ll write what I want to!

And with that sentiment, I’ll close with a happy 300th post to me.

No comments: