Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Brought to you by

Sporadic posting of the last few weeks is courtesy of the library web page, the first month of classes, working evening reference and a weekend shift, and serious disdain of dial-up Internet connection. After being chained to my computer at work, I was unable to face the prospect of turning on my dinosaur with dial-up to blog.

My new student workers have been trained with the basics and so far, so good. Being able to leave them in the resource center means I have been able to devote a bit of quality office time working on the library web page; on that front, after surviving a series of technical glitches (servers and firewalls and ftp permission - oh, my) hope shines brightly. The site might be completed and posted before the holiday break. Even the university webmaster has commented on progress made and wondered if it would be "live" soon.

I spent most of today working on a set of pages, one detailing available database resources and the other providing corresponding information. Translated? A lot of copy, paste, links, anchors, and decisions. My hopes of finishing it today, or at least finishing half of it today, were dashed by a difficult dose of reality. I have successfully completed the listing through "B." Realistically speaking, I could have this set of pages done at the week's end. Woo-hoo!

My supply chain of new children's books has a kink, our acquisitions librarian broke her shoulder and will be off work for at least six weeks. No new children's books, no new education orders, no new resource center supplies, and no one to gossip with on the way out the door each evening. Luckily, most importantly, she is resting comfortably at home. I do have a few books to discuss, but not the brain power to write a review that is not drivel.

Now? It's time for Dancing with the Stars, the results show.

No comments: