Sunday, January 28, 2007

Blogger Beta features

One of the new features Blogger offers with the "beta" version is labeling. I'm a librarian. I like order and organization and the whole concept behind labeling posts. However, in order to have the labels show as a sidebar feature, bloggers have to change over to the new template organizational theme. I have been delaying this procedure since Blogger mentioned it would mean losing what the current sidebar (just great).

This afternoon I succumbed to the lure and am in the process of rebuilding my blog sidebar. I knew it would take time because I practiced the concept with one of my work blogs. As I whine about the need to save my old sidebar template tags and reinsert them, I have no one to blame but myself (don't you hate when that happens?) and am trying to convince myself it is a good time to remove things I maybe do not need any longer.


Later that same day....

An hour has passed and the sidebar redesign is complete. With the exception of the Technorati search and my LibraryThing search, I kept most of the original sidebar information and widgets. Now the question remains, do I keep using the Technorati tags in addition to my own blog labels? I'm thinking, yes. Technorati tags connect my blog to other blogs in the "blogosphere" and the internal blog labels connect only to my postings. Though the two may muck up the ending of posts, I'll keep both since they perform different functions.


A quick look outside to the library patio reveals two divergent winter phenomenon; it is snowing (no big surprise) but at 5:10 it is still light. While winter is rearing it's snowy bearings late this year, the signs of spring are evident as daylight lasts a bit longer.


Tags: ,, ,

No comments: