Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Two new reads

A quick trip to the local snotty wal-mart (sorry, just a quick editorial comment from me because I did not have time to drive to Kmart or Target in neighboring towns and I sincerely dislike the place) and bagged two new fabulous reads. The first, a "Between-the-Numbers" Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich titled Plum Lovin. And the second title is one I've been waiting for, the latest installment by Julie Garwood called Shadow Dance.

Update: 1/10/07

I read Plum Lovin' last evening and, as anticipated, thoroughly enjoyed the madcap adventure featuring the return of Diesel from Evanovich's last "between-the-numbers' book Visions of Sugar Plums. Both Ranger and Morelli are suspiciously absent (out of town and on a police stake out), this Valentine's Day Caper, but Lulu and Tank, Albert and Valerie, Grandma and Bob, and a few romantically challenged patron's of Stephanie's latest bond jumper Annie, make this a holiday to remember in the 'burg.

I bought Shadow Dance without checking to see who was featured, as is often the case when I buy favorite authors, and was pleased to see this is Jordan's book and perennial ladies man Noah Clayborne will make an appearance. Even better, it will include Dylan and Kate's wedding, both featured in Slow Burn, Garwood's previous novel. A definite end of the book reader, I am torturing myself by not checking to see if Noah has met his match in Jordan, or if he is simply joining in the fracas. Time will tell.

Update: 1/15/07

I'm trying to decide if updating a post is better than creating a new one because, hey, it keeps like things together. Or if it is simply laziness on my part. Either way, this update concerns Shadow Dance. I finished reading on Friday evening and was not disappointed because it fulfilled my expectations of what a new Julie Garwood book should be. The book opens at Kate and Dylan's wedding where both Jordan and Noah are in attendance. When Jordan and Noah converse, hidden sparks begin to fly. Jordan meets professor MacKenna (far-flung relation) who has been conversing via email with Kate's youngest sister Isabel regarding a family history he has been compiling. Jordan offers to copy the professor's notes for Isabel and finds herself following a mystery regarding MacKenna and Buchanan family history that places her in the middle of small town scandle, deception, and murder. As with all of the Garwood novels featuring the Buchannan family (praise be there are so many of them), for me the mystery pales in comparison to the relationship between her characters. Though I would like to see her leading men call her women something more substantial than "sugar" on occasion, Jordan and Noah were delightful. In fact, I have already read it twice.

Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: