Friday, February 16, 2007

Publishers Weekly - Children's Bookshelf

In addition to blogging and reading blogs, I subscribe to a fair list of library related list servs and email notification services (AL Direct, LM_Net, EBSS) as one way of keeping up with news in my profession. One that I stumbled across a year or so ago was Children's Bookshelf; "a free weekly newsletter from Publishers Weekly about all aspects of children's and YA publishing." I tend to browse the message and most of the time there is something to catch my attention. If I delete the email too quickly, they archive the email messages I can always go back and find an item for further reading. Yesterday there was a link to an article by Shannon Maughan at the Children's Bookshelf titled Listservs Buzzing over Newbery Winner.

This is where I humbly admit I have not read the latest Newbery Award winner, The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron. It happens to the best of us (not that I presume to be one of the best, but still). Every once in a while I miss the Newbery or Caldecott when doing collection development throughout the year and have to order it after the announcement is made at the ALA mid-winter meetings. This was one of those years; I purchased the honor books and the Caldecott winner before the mid-winter meetings, but missed the Newbery. Yesterday afternoon our two copies arrived and I have placed my name on the list so I am able to read it before it begins it's travels in OhioLINK land. Without first reading the book I am reluctant to join in the fracas, or discussion, regarding the author's use of the word "scrotum." Really. The opening paragraph of Maughan's article reads:

"What's in a word? Plenty of controversy, if it happens to be a word naming a part of the male anatomy, and if it appears in a Newbery Award-winning novel. In recent weeks the online blogosphere inhabited by children's book professionals has been abuzz with debate over author Susan Patron's use of the word "scrotum" in her freshly minted Newbery winner, The Higher Power of Lucky. Librarians, teachers, reviewers and others have used blogs and listservs as forums to object to or defend the book and the ALA's selection of the title for one of its highest honors. (Children's Bookshelf, 2/15/07)"

It is an interesting debate, one that I may weigh in on after finishing the title. I also wonder how the use of one word rates in the history of controversy surrounding previous Newbery titles that included the use of profanity, witchcraft, midwives, and violence. I just may need to sneak that book of the cart before it's cataloged and see for myself.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: