Monday, January 05, 2009

Not quite a blogthing

I did take a Blogthings quiz this morning while catching up with my Bloglines account; it was a New Year's, or more aptly old year themed, titled How Much Do You Remember 2008? I finished with a relatively passable 80%, but was ultimately more interested in the "blogchain" posted on Walt at Random (via Ruminations and several other blogs of note) at the end of December. Posts I also found going through my 1300+ blog updates. Here goes.



The 99 Things Meme

Things you’ve already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to - leave in plain font




1. Started your own blog.
This blog is my first personal blog, I started with a work blog and moved along. Currently I own and/or contribute to eight different blogs.

2. Slept under the stars.
We had a trailer and camped through my childhood. Sleeping under the stars near a campfire has much to offer.

3. Played in a band.
Hmm, where to start? I was in marching bands and concert bands from the fourth grade through college. Yep, a big ole band geek I started with the flute, then piccolo, french horn, oboe, and mellophone.

4. Visited Hawaii.
Would love to do this, if only I could convince myself to be on an airplane that long.

5. Watched a meteor shower.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
I've given, but honestly it has never been more than I could afford.

7. Been to Disneyland/World.
My family visited Walt Disney World in Florida during it's inaugural season, camping with close friends. I've been lucky enough to visit a second time as a that band geek in senior high school, and a third time during a family trip about ten years ago. Though I didn't have Mickey Mouse Ears, I did get a Donald Duck hat (the beak squeaked). As with many librarians at ALA in Anaheim last summer, I was on the Disney property during the conference. I was able to see fireworks from my hotel room at night.

8. Climbed a mountain.

9. Held a praying mantis.
Picked up a lot of critters when I was a kid.

10. Sang a solo.

11. Bungee jumped. (So not going to happen)

12. Visited Paris.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch.

15. Adopted a child.

16. Had food poisoning.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.

18. Grown your own vegetables.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.

20. Slept on an overnight train.

21. Had a pillow fight.
I have two sisters, we camped every summer when I was a kid, do the math.

22. Hitch hiked.

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
I prefer to think of it as more like a mental health day ...

24. Built a snow fort.
I'm originally from PA, we got lots if snow when I was a child.

25. Held a lamb.

26. Gone skinny dipping.

27. Run a marathon.

28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.

29. Seen a total eclipse.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
It's hard to decide which is more beautiful. I was able to see a sunset from the window during my plane ride back to Columbus last summer; we were high enough the world was curved around the sun. Fabulous.

31. Hit a home run.

32. Been on a cruise.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.
People argue that one side is better than the other. If you have seen the falls it does not matter which border you are viewing from, it's a fantastic sight. I recommend riding the Maid of the Mist and seeing them up close.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.

35. Seen an Amish Community.
I live in north-central Ohio and see Amish at the Walmart. As a child, we did visit Amish villages (more camping trips).

36. Taught yourself a new language.

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.

39. Gone rock climbing.

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person.

41. Sung Karaoke.

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.

43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.

44. Visited Africa.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
A long time ago I lived in South Carolina, about an hour from Myrtle Beach. It was common for several of us to visit during the off season. Walking on the beach in the winter is quite invigorating.

46. Been transported in an ambulance.
While working in Spencer Gifts (another lifetime) we were building displays and I dropped a partition on my foot. It was broken and required a trip to the nearby hosptial.

47. Had your portrait painted.

48. Gone deep sea fishing.

49. Seen the Sistene chapel in person.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling.

52. Kissed in the rain.
I'm not going to kiss and tell ...

53. Played in the mud.
Hasn't everyone?

54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.
The family trailer was pulled by a station wagon which was perfect for drive-in movie night. We would wear our pajamas, grab blankets, and put the seats down to see movies. It was great!

55. Been in a movie.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China.

57. Started a business.

58. Taken a martial arts class

59. Visited Russia.

60. Served at a soup kitchen.

61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.
Both a brownie and a girl scout, I sold my share of cookies. One year our house was the cookie box house, everyone came to get their orders. I have never seen so many cookie boxes in my life.

62. Gone whale watching.

63. Gotten flowers for no reason.
Each year we get a group of doctoral students to mentor at the library. I once got flowers from one of my mentees as a thank you.

64. Donated blood.

65. Gone sky diving.

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.

67. Bounced a cheque.
Well, it was a "check," but still an annoying occurance. As anyone who's done it knows soon the penalties for the bouncing amount to more than the check.

68. Flown in a helicopter.

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.
I had, actually still have, not only several of my Barbie dolls and comic books, but also a doll named Velvet. She was Crissy's cousin. If you pushed her belly-button you could "grow" (actually pull) her hair longer. A knob on her back turned to return her hair inside. She came with a purple velvet dress and my grandmother used to make her clothes.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.
Those family camping trips again, as well as the requisite seventh grade class trip to Washington, DC.

71. Eaten Caviar.

72. Pieced a quilt.

73. Stood in Times Square.

74. Toured the Everglades.

75. Been fired from a job.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.

77. Broken a bone.
On more than one occassion (as noted above on the ambulance trip). For me the first time was when I was five year's old and we were playing between the houses on a spring-like February afternoon. I slipped and the rest is history.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book.

81. Visited the Vatican.

82. Bought a brand new car.
The first car I ever bought was a Ford Mustang. I drove it until the engine fell out (literally, it was awful) at over 100,000 miles. Couldn't afford to replace or repair and had to let it go.

83. Walked in Jerusalem.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper.

85. Read the entire Bible.

86. Visited the White House.
Actually, I remember touring the White House back when you were allowed to be inside some of the public rooms.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (so not going to happen).

88. Had chickenpox.
I had it, my two sisters had it, what joy.

89. Saved someone’s life.

90. Sat on a jury.

91. Met someone famous.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips signed my book at ALA last summer. She's famous as far as I'm concerned.

92. Joined a book club.

93. Lost a loved one.
My mom, not quite a year ago.

94. Had a baby.

95. Seen the Alamo in person.
I made a point to visit the Alamo when at ALA mid-winter two years ago. It was my first ALA conference.

96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.

97. Been involved in a law suit.

98. Owned a cell phone.
Yes, yes, I have a cell phone and even sometimes remember to turn it on!

99. Been stung by a bee.

No comments: