Friday, September 15, 2006

Later that same day ....

Another thing I enjoyed in the early chapters of The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop was his description of a book. Working in an academic library there is always discussion concerning keeping hard copies of journals when electronic databases are available. In conjunction with that conversation are comments regarding electronic books and the constant shadow of books becoming obsolete (insert sarcastic puh-lease here). I particulary liked this passage:
"A book doesn't require fuel, food, or service: it isn't very messy and rarely makes noise. A book can be read over and over, then passed on to friends, or resold at a garage sale. A book will not crash or freeze and will still work when filled with sand." - The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop, p.8
Exactly, I am not going to curl up on the sofa this evening with my computer while I finish re-reading Midnight Rainbow by Linda Howard. I have had it for years, its spine is creased, the pages yellow with age, and I know how it ends. But the story is still within and I can enjoy turning the pages curled up with a blanket on this cool September evening.

No comments: