Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bowing to pressure

A young adult (adolescent) literature professor assigned "The Book Thief" to her students as required readinig at the beginning of the term. She was very excited about the book and I put the library copy of the title on closed reserve for her class in case students had a hard time finding it for purchase. That in itself was an interesting scenario as she began our conversation about the book saying, "it's a great book, since you get all the good books I'm sure you already have it in our collection." No pressure and no where to go with that one; if I have purchased it I look bloody brilliant. Came out smelling like a rose since we had it in the collection. One of her students works in the library (reserves desk) and several others call the resource center home. If I had a quarter for every one of them who has asked me how I liked the book ....

So this afternoon, as I prepare to head out over the river and through the woods to Pennsylvania, I have checked "The Book Thief" out from reserves and will be reading it, time permitting and between cooking and shopping, over the holiday weekend. Yes, I have bowed to student peer pressure.

Happy Turkey Day and the beginning of the Christmas shopping mania. I will be blissfully without a computer until Monday of next week because vacation from work is also vacation from computers. This is a perfect time to wean myself away from blog statistics and veiws. Right?


Tags: , ,

No comments: