Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What did you do today?

I get that question a lot, what does a librarian do all day? It depends on the librarian, type of library, and the job said librarian holds within the library. Working in an academic library resource center, I wear many hats and today the lovely hat continued to be moving children's books within the juvenile stacks. Last week my students moved those thirty years worth of practicums. Now it is my turn to shelf shift the entire juvenile collection and make room within the stacks to place the newest purchases. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have a budget enabling me to buy a relatively large selection of children's books. But dang, moving the whole collection is tedious and dusty work. Good thing I'm so anal about organization at work because as I move I'm able to straighten and make things look pretty. About a quarter of the way finished, this afternoon I determined I may have left too much empty shelving at the end. I'm going to get a second opinion on that, but will probably be shifting some more before moving on.

The news of a student being released from her job responsibilities, yes fired, has gone over amazingly well with my remaining student workers. No one has asked me why. No one has questioned the decision. No one really seems to care. Interestingly enough, a new hire from this term brought in a friend this evening who is looking for work. I haven't even posted the openings yet and may have a new hire. Between graduation, student teaching, and the firing I find myself three students less for next term. Hiring in the spring is best since there are fewer students taking the lab class and the responsibilities towards that end are less. Not that we have a smaller amount of people in the center, simply that the things they want are generally different.

I also began working on spending some money! Wooo-hooo. One of the best parts of this job is making decisions on what to purchase, further developing the collection (something that necessitates the need for all the aforementioned shelf shifting). I have listings of DVD's, books, materials kits, paper, toner, laminating film and all that jazz. I will need to go through the newest edition of Booklist and School Library Journal for my children's book purchase listing, but that's a fun job.

In my spare time, after providing reference and help with an assortment of class projects, I even managed to post somewhat intelligently to one of my professional blogs. I did also finish a juvenile book at lunch and can not for the life of me remember the title. More about the mystery book tomorrow. After lunch I did a quick check of my bloglines account and read a very interesting post on Argh Ink by Jennifer Crusie; Clue Cake, Anonymity, and Other Unprofessional Behavior. I look forward to reading her personal blog on Argh Ink, as well as her collaborative effort with Bob Mayer on the Crusie Mayer blog. (Note to the two people who read this blog, if you enjoy either of these authors or want to learn more about being a published author, check out those links). In this post, Jenny brilliantly discusses her frustration with anonymous bloggers taking authors to task in what may be construed as an effort to be more popular and drive readership to their blogs. Food for thought, check it out. Unfortunately, she's also chosen to utilize Blogger's comment moderation feature for this post, comments are accepted but will not show up until she decides if they should. I understand why she felt the need to take that step, but miss reading her loyal reader's comments. They are always an enlightened group.

And no, I'm not mentioning the post in an inane effort to drive more people to this blog.

Please.

I write this for me and it freaks me out the tiniest bit when I look at the stat counter for this site and see people are reading. Happy news, I've weaned myself off of looking at the stupid counter six and eight times a day. My hopeless stat obsessed self is now down to morning, lunch, and once in the evening. That's half what it used to be.

Now it's time for the finale of Dancing with the Stars. I'm SO hoping Emmitt wins. "Can't touch this!"

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: