Sunday, November 05, 2006

Post-conference blues & football

The last several days have been long-ish on driving and short on sleep. Not to whine, or maybe not to whine too much, it was an hour to the conference, overnight at the hotel, an all day conference followed by two hours home, several quick trips while home over the weekend, and then three hours back here this afternoon. All that an no football on the radio. No football on the computer, and obviously no football on the television. As usual, the Browns are on both the Cleveland and Columbus CBS stations.

Thursday afternoon I attended a preconference workshop on library marketing, aka market research. It was interesting, but very heavy on concepts of focus groups and follow-up surveys. I understand the marketing needs of both these functions. On the other hand, as someone who has lived through two LibQual survey endeavors, I also understand how futile the effort of getting the same group of people to respond on more than one occassion can become. I will look through my notes again and make more sense of the process. The conference was enjoyable and successful with a few irritations; more on that later.

I finished the last of the Nora Robert's Circle trilogy at the hotel Thursday evening. I was so engrossed with getting through the final battle I missed Grey's Anatomy! Two days until Born in Death. Yes, I am counting and planning how I will be able to read it Tuesday evening during Dancing with the Stars. It is all about priorities.

I also finished reading the children's book "Pish Posh." While it was well written, most of the characters were engaging, and it was interesting and flowed, I just did not care for the book. I feel the main character was a brat and had few redeeming qualitites, even at the culmination of the story. She was a product of her environment, but if I want to learn more about spoiled rich children, all I need to do is turn on the television.


Tags: ,

No comments: