Friday, November 17, 2006

Hey, hey they were The Monkees

Surfing channels early this evening I found, and had to watch, The Monkees! The longer I watched, the worse it got. In all honestly I was never the biggest fan of Improv comedy, but the show was pretty awful (an appropriate oxymoron). I remember many of the tunes from the show because they were catchy, some written by the likes of Neil Diamond. As I child I know I had some of their music, dare I mention it, on 45's. Songs that come to mind are The Last Train to Clarksville, I'm a Believer, Steppin Stone, and the TV show themesong Hey, Hey We're the Monkees.As the episode finished I strained tired eyes to catch the year because what I do not remember is if I saw these first run or as Saturday morning reruns. I had my doubts since several sources note the original show ran from 1965 - 1968. However, The Monkees -Wikipedia mentions a resurgence of the show on Saturday morning television in the 70's as well as a second wave of their music in the 80's. If The Monkees were running on Saturday morning television with School House Rock, I was there; "Conjunction Junction, What's your Function?" and "I'm Just a Bill". After the credits ran, this same television station showed The Partridge Family. I sang along to the theme song and changed the channel.

Tags: , , ,

No comments: