Sunday, April 23, 2006

The African Queen and John Wayne

Channel surfing this afternoon I came across The African Queen with Humphre Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. I've since learned the film was up for numerous awards and Bogart won an Oscar for best actor in his role. It brought a smile to my face remembering when I saw this movie for the first (and only) time.

In college there were often oldies film classic nights. One evening a friend was having trouble convincing anyone to go see the movie they were showing, The African Queen. Not knowing anything about it, I asked her who was in it and what it was about. She told me she was pretty sure it was a John Wayne western and we would enjoy wasting some time and eating popcorn. Here biggest push to go? It was a western there were sure to be some boys there.

Imagine our surprise when the opening credits did not include John Wayne or even any horses. To this day what I remember is the scene on the boat with the leeches.

No comments: