Friday, April 21, 2006

In the mail today ... Flat Stanley!

Going through my mail this afternoon I was intrigued by an envelope addressed to me from a grade school out of state. I didn't recognize the school and almost shredded it out of habit. Something made me take a closer look at the writing. It was the careful printing, in pencil, of an elementary school age child (no one prints like a first or second grader).

I opened it and inside was:
FLAT STANLEY!

It's been years since I've seen a Flat Stanley, let alone have one mailed to me. He was accompanied by a letter asking me to take him to a "landmark specific to the city I live in and take a picture" with him there. I am then to mail him back to the class so they can learn about different cities, states, or countries. Always a very cool project for kids. There is even an Official Flat Stanley Project page, he is quite the world traveler. Not too shabby for a kid that got flattened by his bulletin board one night.

Now I am considering where I should take Stanley for his photo op. I can take him to work, the library has a strange sculpture outside that might be interesting to kids. Or, I'm headed into the state capitol tomorrow for a concert and could take him along. There would be little or no interest in the concert, even though it is Tim McGraw, but maybe there will be time to find the capital building itself for Stanley.

Now I have to make sure I don't send a dorky photograph back.

Peer pressure from the elementary school set.

No comments: