Thursday, April 27, 2006

Rambling about blogger stuff

Logging in this afternoon I noticed my blog 'dashboard' had a post. I drove over 200 miles today for meetings and presentations, so I had a fleeting thought that maybe I didn't know what the date was after all. I checked my cell and was immediately relieved not to have lost a day. Then, a random thought.

I might have a comment. On this blog.

Woo-hoo!

I clicked on the moderate comments tab to see a short message from Will Richardson, the author of the book I'm reading on blogging (see previous posting). Way to utilize resources Will. Guess you have the backtracking software to know when people link to your blog, eh? He'll be glad to know I shared his book with a room full of school librarians during a presentation this morning. A number of them indicated interest in purchasing the title and happily jotted down the ISBN for future reference.

I know, I know, part of the whole blogging experience is getting people to read and comment. But it was just weird. I was certain (actually, content or smug may be more accurate) this experiment would go unnoticed. Since I'm pretty sure he won't be checking back, I can return happily to obscurity. Guess it just goes to show.

Exactly what, I'm not sure.

Because I'm a big web geek, I look at the profile visited info every once in a while. Today I noticed the view count has doubled in the last week. Interesting since I took the view profile link out of the template. Maybe it's time for an experiment.

Last, a random thought. Why does a blog spell check not automatically know the words blog, blogging, or blogger?

Clip art: http://www.teacherfiles.com/clip_art.htm

1 comment:

Will Richardson said...

Not getting rid of me that easily...

You didn't even know it, but the way to get noticed is to link to what you are reading. I have an RSS feed that delivers this information to me, and so I get to find people like you. Keep writing good stuff, and I'll probably link back to you, which will bring more people to your site. It's how things get started in the blogosphere.

Thanks for mentioning my book to your group! I have a comission plan... ;0)