Sunday, April 23, 2006

Tim, Faith, and Flat Stanley

I took Flat Stanley with me last evening to Columbus for the Soul 2 Soul II Tour last evening at Nationwide Arena. Tried to get his picture taken with the Columbus skyline in the background to no avail. If you aren't paying attention on the I-71 and 670 split heading into the arena, whether driving or navigating, you're toast. I briefly considered taking him into the concert, smuggled inside my cute pink concert purse (big enough for necessities but small enough that you can throw over your shoulder and not have to worry). I wasn't sure what the policy was for cameras in Nationwide arena, so kiboshed that idea as well. Today he went to the fairgrounds and Archway Cookies. I figure kids would like the cookie info.

What about the concert?

As touted, the stage was really visually appealing. It was shaped as a celtic cross with a circle in the middle. The entire surface was individual squares where graphics and lighting were projected. It was very cool. Part way through the show, between Faith's set and the beginning of Tim's, the lowered a screen of sorts around the two of them as they sat in the center of the stage. As they sang Angry All the Time, red color spilled around them through the screen and onto the stage (think Garth Brooks video with the red paint). Stunning.

The sound system was exceptional. My ears are still ringing today.

Faith sang first. She has a lovely voice, quite a set of pipes on her, and did a great set. However, this is where I admit to going to see Tim and not Faith. I thought her set was longer and was disappointed not to hear him sing more tunes. I saw Tim a couple of years ago when he and the Dance Hall Doctors went on tour alone, almost three full hours of music. It was fabulous. I've seen him during the summer since then and nothing has quite lived up to that particular show.

As advertised, there wasn't a bad seat in the house. My seats were pretty high up (really). When we arrived there was a period of adjustment to the height and I kept telling myself to look around and yak to my neighbors, just don't look down. (That thought naturally made me chuckle to myself since DLD's the name of a really entertaining book and has an accompanying blog.) Once things got moving the height was no issue.

Well, with the exception of my worries the woman to my right would get smacked by her friend and tumble down several rows and a slight concern the inebrieted boy behind us would decide to go see Faith personally, it was no issue.

Addendum:

This could be a new post, but since it goes along with the topic here it seems to make more sense. Saw a CMT program this afternoon called Greatest Moments and it featured Tim McGraw. The number one item on his greatest moments list was family. How does that tie in the the concert info? Tim was showing off a new tatoo he got in the shape of a cross that has the initials of his girls on it . . . that tatoo looked a lot like their stage for Soul 2 Soul II. Coincidence?

No comments: