Thursday, April 20, 2006

Creature of habit

I like to do new things, learn new things, challenge myself to grow professionally just for the experience. For example, I've been asked to revamp a web site. Instead of sticking with the same old web editor, I opted to learn something more challenging. I thought it would be great to, hey, learn something. Keep the brain agile, don't sit on those laurels.

Up to this point what seemed a good idea in theory has majestically bombed in practice. Editing existing pages is doable (woo-hoo), but creating them from scratch is making me nucking futz. Through this exercise I keep telling myself how proud I'll be when the task is mastered. The frustration is good for me, I've become comfortable with the status quo and need to shake things up.

Uh-huh.

But, I am nothing if not stubborn (bull headed, persistent, and so on). The light will come on and it's illumination will be stronger than a night light. I will continue to mutter viciously at the computer and tell all who will listen, or are forced to listen, how much I hate web design and Dreamweaver and CSS and oh, by the way .... here are a few web links:

The thing is, while I embrace the professional changes, I am very much at home with personal changes being at the minimum. Until this last week, I did not realize how much a creature of habit I have become in regards to my living space. Joy of joys, last Thursday I was given the final paperwork taking my apartment condo. Not just condo, but a community of housing for 55 and older. Talk about adding insult (kind of in a good way if that is possible) to injury. Not only can I not afford to live here, I'm too young! :-).

Insert happy dance here.

I have spent the last several evenings researching and doing recon of available housing before making the inevitable cost phone call. Human nature, or maybe my nature, notes that if the choice of moving was my own I would be embracing this change. Since the choice was taken from me, I'm more than a bit cranked about the change. A friend assured me in three months when I was happily ensconced in my new and better apartment I would look back on this thinking it wasn't so bad after all.

Uh-huh.

No comments: