Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's appropriate

I have been furiously working on completing my article, an invited conference report based upon one of my ALA poster sessions for a journal, before tomorrow. Several days of dragging my computer home from work (it's easier to plop in front of the television than barricade myself in my home office) and not working - as well as several evenings of dragging my computer home and accomplishing a paragraph or two have resulted in, consertively speaking, completing half of my article. What's causing issue today is learning how to use Harvard Style; the journal requires citations in this format.

I have learned that Harvard Style is also referred to as author-date style and "widely accepted in academic publications, although you may see a number of variations in the way it is used" (Monash University Library). Interestingly enough, most of the sites I found with tutorials and examples were from Australian and United Kingdom libraries.

I have been able to decipher the language differences (spelling, etc) and complete my bibliography. However, I must admit to being a bit stymied with the in publication citation method and have printed out several different handouts for assistance; praise be for libraries and their citation tutorials. With the writing deadline, my procrastination, and my obsession with having things be "just write" before submission, I chuckled this morning seeing a Blogthings quiz on grammar.




You Scored an A

It's pretty obvious that you don't make basic grammatical errors.

If anything, you're annoyed when people make simple mistakes on their blogs.

As far as people with bad grammar go, you know they're only human.

And it's humanity and its current condition that truly disturb you sometimes.



Tags: , , ,

No comments: