Sunday, March 09, 2008

Let the sun shine

Day two of the weekend snow event featured sunshine; after springing ahead I was awakened by the tell-tale sound of the back alley being plowed. The sun and noise were both welcome. It was became obvious I would have to locate my shiny new snow shovel, remove the snow pushed against the garage door holding my car hostage, and find the front sidewalk.

The alley and garage? Not so bad. For the first time since moving in, my neighbor had garaged his vehicle (I'm not bitter) and with little effort I was able to happily toss the snow into the alley to melt in the sunlight. As you can see by the first photo, the front sidewalk was another matter altogether; a foot of snow awaited. With the bright morning sun keeping me company, I shoveled out my door and down to my neighbors house. My other neighbor has a small dog, a shih tzu, that closely resembles my sister's first dog. Every morning at 5:30 am she sends it out to the back patio to "go potty." My back patio was a foot deep in snow and all I could think of was that poor thing sitting in the house with crossed legs. Praise be the snow was deep, but light.

I finished in time to see the opening play of NBC's hockey game of the week, the NHL on NBC, featuring the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Washington Capitals. This was the second NBC game to feature the Pens (the first on New Year's Day). Next Sunday the Pens play the Philadelphia Flyers.

The second photo? Looking out one of my upstairs bedroom windows between the first and second period of said hockey game I noticed someone had not only shoveled their sidewalk, but had also a path to, and around, the front yard tree! Now that's ingenuity.


Let the sun shine!

No comments: