Friday, October 19, 2007

Blogging for college scholarship money

As a member of ALA each month you receive American Libraries magazine, ALA also offers and online version of American Libraries as well as an email newsletter called AL Direct that arrives in your inbox on a regular basis (I'd say weekly, but honestly have not paid all that much attention; I just browse it when it arrives). Thursday's issue featured a short blurb about a library student finalist, Karin Dalziel, in College Scholarships.org 2nd annual blogging scholarship. I was surprised by two things; first, what a cool way to help pay for college, doing something you enjoy, and second, I've read her blog! Here's the blurb from AL Direct:

"Library Student is finalist for $10,000 blogging scholarship. Karin Dalziel, an LIS student at the University of Missouri–Columbia, is one of 20 finalists for College Scholarship.org’s 2nd annual blogging scholarship, which features an award of $10,000 to help pay for books and tuition. Dalziel was selected from hundreds of applicants and is the only library blogger in the group." (ALDirect, 10/17/07)

I already placed my vote, and would encourage people to take a look at the finalists for this interesting award. (And yes, seriously consider voting for Karin.)
I meant to post this on Thursday, but after being glued to the computer all day at work (the new library web page!) I could not face my computer at home. Again, here's a link to Karin's blog, Musings of an LIS student, and her post about becoming a finalist. Public voting for this scholarship ends on October 28th ... go vote.

Tags: , , ,

No comments: