Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Midterm mania

It is midterm week, joy and glory hallelujah. I did not need to consult my academic calendar or crystal ball, I only needed to note three reams of paper gleefully sent through the printer before 11 am (and in case anyone wonders, that is 1500 sheets of paper from 15 computers and rounds out to 100 sheets per computer in less than three hours with little or no student turnover from said computers) two additional reams for the copier, and a set of 500-foot roll (s) of laminating film finished in three weeks. Yes, the semester is indeed half over. Yes, it also means the chance of my completing any serious work until December is dwindling. I work in an open area, no office or break from the mayhem, except for lunch, throughout the eight-hour day of reference, managing the resource center and creating web pages.

Blah, blah, blah.

It is not an easy feat to work constructively with students consulting, and gluing, and cutting, and coloring, and working, at tables less than three feet from me. Don't get me wrong, I'm only whining a little bit (really!) because I am a victim of success. Looking at this philosophically, five years ago the quiet could be overwhelming. No students, no professors, just a few unhappy souls. Praise be, this is no longer the case. I do, however, on occasion remember the quiet time fondly.

I also have to admit to a few tunes running their way through my head during the day. Consider the following lyrics from the chorus of Love You, a current Jack Ingram tune:

"Love you; love this town; Yeah, I'm sick an' lovin' tired of all your lovin' around There's only one four-letter word that'll do: Love you."

Or, maybe even Bon Jovi, Have a Nice Day:

"Ohhh, if there's one thing I hang onto,That gets me through the night. I ain't gonna do what I don't want to,I'm gonna live my life.Shining like a diamond, rolling with the dice,Standing on the ledge, I show the wind how to fly.When the world gets in my face, I say, Have A Nice Day.Have A Nice Day."

Maybe even an old Bill Engvall "song", Here's your sign:

"I just hate stupid people. They should have to wear signs that just say I'm stupid. That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you?You wouldn't ask them anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops, never mind""I didn't see your sign."

I can hardly wait until tomorrow!


Tags: , ,

No comments: