Friday, August 10, 2007

Blog Holiday, last of the summer

A sure sign that the start of a new academic school year is pending; my final week of summer vacation begins tomorrow. I will be taking a blog holiday and visiting friends and family in Pennsylvania next week. Gossip, dinners, and birthday parties are high on the proverbial "to do" list. There has also been whispering about outlet mall shopping. I will get to see a pre-season Steeler football game (or two) and even watch and complain about a Pirate's baseball game. I know for sure the week will end with a six year old's birthday party complete with games, presents, and birthday cake. The pint sized fashion diva is getting clothes from me, she will be thrilled.

Two weeks from Monday, August 27th, is the first day of classes for the Fall 2007 semester. While a part of me is thrilled, new students always add an extra pop to the day, this year another part of me is just not ready. I would like another week to tie up all the loose ends; finish adjusting the juvenile shelves, create quick handouts for using MS Office 2007, shelf read the curriculum and materials kits collection, and maybe move into the office I have been promised. But it is hard not to get caught up in the excitement generated by students happy to be back. I have already had three students email me about their work schedules!

A chance encounter this afternoon revealed all of the computers on my floor of the library, actually all but the three lonely Dells, have been "upgraded" to MS Office 2007. I was blissfully unaware of the transformation until a student came stumbling into the resource center needing help putting page numbers on her Word document. In her words, "It's not there anymore!" A quick glance at the computer screen revealed Word 2007. Sitting across the aisle from her was a student who had been on the main floor earlier in the day. He was unhappy with the upgrade and wanted to finish his work on Word 2003 using an as-yet-to-be-upgraded Dell (I didn't have the heart to tell him they would be changed next week).

I returned the last of my un-cataloged book stash to technical services, left a lovely file folder of orders for the acquisitions librarian, turned in my vacation form, and gleefully headed out the door at 5:00 pm. I did grab my laptop, after all I have an article submission deadline of September 5th, but chances of me actually taking the laptop out of the case are pretty slim.

Happy blogging, I'll be back next week.

No comments: